COMMUNIQUE ON WOMEN’S CONNECT STAKEHOLDERS’ FORUM ORGANIZED BY THE MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS AND DIGITAL ECONOMY HELD IN LAGOS STATE ON JULY 6, 2021
We as Women in Technology in Nigeria (WITIN) wish to commend the efforts of the Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy on the huge success of the Women’s Connect Stakeholders’ Forum.
In anticipation of the growth of the Technology sector and the role of WITIN, we are in agreement with the decisions reached at the recently held forum via contributions from renowned female experts in the industry. Most of the recommendations are in alignment with our vision as an association as follows:
• Develop and implement policies mandating equity and fair representation of women at all levels of work; thus combating entrenched gender biases and stereotypes
• Develop and implement gender equity policies at all levels to ensure women & girls succeed in the Tech Ecosystem; noting the dimensions of the inequalities as well as the need to disaggregate solutions in geographical and cultural contexts.
• Strengthen the existing efforts by the Ministry to bridge the gender digital divide via “Women Connect” and “Digital Girls Club” as well as foster partnerships with grassroots NGOs in implementation of solutions.
• Promote investor-friendly programs as well as those that encourage partnerships for women-owned businesses
• Tackle maternal bias from grassroot levels as well as create enabling environment for pregnant and nursing mothers to continue to thrive in their work spaces without feeling marginalized
• Promote access and affordability of internet connectivity for marginalized women to enable a more inclusive diverse tech ecosystem.
These would further strengthen the technology industry and ecosystem, consequently, the women players in it.
Once again congratulations on the successful event.
Contributors(on behalf of WITIN)
- Martha Omoekpen Alade, Founder of WITIN
- Clara Okoro, COO My Beautiful Africa and member of WITIN
- Adejoke Opeyemi-Ogugbire, CEO DESIRE Health Inclusive Organization/DESIRE Health (consult) and member of WITIN
- Juliet Onwujekwe, Research Assistant, WITIN
- Chinonye Ugwu, Technical Assistant
- Chiamaka Onuoha, Technical Assistant
- Sulaimon Moriam, Undergraduate and member of WITIN